Financial Abundance: Is the Journey Worth It?

Ten years ago I was in deep credit card debt, on the verge of bankruptcy, and renting a one bedroom apartment with a drunken old man living on the floor below us who had a regular habit of using some sort of stick to pound on his ceiling (our floor) and cursing at my wife and I whenever we walked around.  I think he worked nights and drank during the days so when we tip-toed around on our floors in the late afternoons, he would get angry and yell from below.  Life sucked.

However, because I had the determination not to give up, I decided not to declare bankruptcy and vowed to get myself out of the mess I was in and I vowed to one day own my own house on a large chunk of land where I could make as much noise as I want with no one pounding on my floors.

past_dueI don’t know how I had the strength to stay positive in those days.  I remember getting phone calls from collections agencies and talking to people who were absolutely brilliant at making me feel like the lowest scum of the earth because I didn’t have the money to pay them.  They were some of the most abrasive people I have ever had the pleasure of speaking with in my entire life.

Somewhere in between the horrible phone calls and receiving my daily collection letters, I found the energy to stay positive and I had the audacity to secretly keep a written journal where I was setting goals for the type of house I was going to live in soon, and the type of car I was going to drive and the type of home theatre system I would have etc.  I remember drawing a picture of my future house, while at the same time trying to figure how I’m going to pay the electricity bill before they turn off the power and all the food in my fridge goes bad.  When you’re that broke, you don’t keep a lot of food in the fridge just in case.

IMG_0477

Less than ten years later I own the house I drew in that picture, set on a five acre property, surrounded by beautiful trees, flowers and birds I never knew even existed.  It’s a five minute walk to get to the nearest neighbors house and the area is so quiet I can actually hear myself think.  No more drunk guy pounding on my floors.  No more collectors calling me.

Getting to this point in my life hasn’t been easy.  It was a journey of major personal development and constant daily improvement, coupled with a lot of spiritual growth.  Law of attraction played a massive role in the financial success I’ve had so far in my life.

The most important thing though is not the house I live in now or the amount of money I’ve been able to earn in the last 10 years, but the person I’ve become while on this journey of financial abundance.

Although I still have highly ambitious financial goals, I don’t focus as much on money anymore as I used to.  You could say that I have largely transcended my desire for money and wealth.  That doesn’t mean I don’t want to have financial abundance anymore, but it’s just not something I focus on as much as I used to 5 years ago.

Once you reach a certain level of wealth, money begins to lose its meaning.  Whereas I used to walk into a BestBuy and drool over all the cool toys I could buy if I only had the money to buy them, I now walk into a BestBuy and find it no more exciting than walking into a grocery store.  I already have a big screen TV and a home theatre system and all the toys that I always wanted, so everything else is just more of the same type of stuff.  Once you’ve owned six or seven different laptops, the eighth one is not as exciting as the first one.  Once you make +$10,000/month the novelty wears off and it’s not as exciting anymore.

HOWEVER, this is where I see a lot of “Guru’s” go wrong with the advice they offer people.  The “Guru’s” arrive at this point in their lives where they’ve already learned how to attract large sums of money using Law of Attraction, for example, and money starts to lose meaning to them as well after a while.  So what do they do?

They try to tell people that the pursuit of money is a useless endeavor; a waste of time.  They start preaching that there are other more important things to pursue, such as peace and love and truth and spiritual enlightenment.  Personally, I think that’s a pile of crap.  The only reason they have reached the level of being able to transcend their deep desires for money and wealth is because they’ve pursued money and wealth and took the journey towards it.

How much money I’ve made in the last 10 years is completely irrelevant to me.  What is important is the person I have become as a result of choosing to pursue financial abundance, and that alone is worth the journey.  This is where a lot of “Guru’s” go wrong.  They transcend a desire for something and they forget about the journey that they embarked upon towards that desire and the people they have become as a result of that journey.

Don’t let any “Enlightened Guru” tell you that your desire for money is a waste of time or that it’s an unworthy goal.  It’s nice of them to try to share with you the conclusions they have come up with as a result of their journey towards financial abundance, but it’s not the conclusions that are important….it’s the journey.

Yes, one day when you’ve already made a pile of money, when you’ve paid off those debts and you’re not being chased by creditors anymore and you’ve experienced what it feels like to walk into a dealership and buy the car you want for cash, and what it feels like to buy the home of your dreams, you too will probably arrive at the conclusion that money isn’t the be-all and end-all of everything, but the journey to that conclusion is worth every moment and the personal transformation you’ll go through on that journey is a beautiful thing.  So don’t let any “Guru” tell you that “chasing money is a waste of time”.  They have simply forgotten what it feels like to get woken up in the morning by a phone call from a creditor who proceeds to verbally abuse you for half an hour because you didn’t make your last payment.

The next time you encounter an “Enlightened Guru” telling you that your goal to become financially independent is evil, or a waste of time, tell them Paul thinks they’re full of crap.

17 Responses to Financial Abundance: Is the Journey Worth It?

• Thankyou for sharing that! it was very inspiring. I am aiming to hit the $10,000 a month level and it is great to hear from people who have made it.

• Vincent says:

Hey Paul,

I agree with what you said. Chasing financial definitely is not evil and real evil comes from the lack of money.

Cheers
    Vincent
    Personal Development Blogger

• Hearing about your journey to financial abundance is very inspiring.

I consider myself to be spiritual, but I think that we have to balance the spiritual and the physical. And money being an important part of the physical, it’s not really coming from a balanced perspective if you denounce it.

• great article. I think people who are short of money will all agree with you and they will be very happy to read this post and will be motivated to chase their own financial independence. Thanks very much.

David Wei

• Evan says:

Hi Paul,

Thanks for a great article.

So much of the advice about money making falls into the trap of talking about what the rich do rather than what they did (to make the money in the first place). And the advice has no sense of needing to start where people are rather than where they want to be.

I really like your realistic and helpful approach.

• Jeremy Day says:

Hi Paul,

This is awesome! This whole article is just dripping wet with the truth. We always say its about the journey, not the destination. This puts it in a great perspective. Thank you for this!

Cheers,
    Jeremy

• Pingback: I’m in a Book! | How to Make Money Doing What You Love

• Daphne says:

Hi Paul, this is a great post because it rings so true and is much more authentic than the usual advice-laden guru-isms. Glad to hear that the 10-year journey was worth it for you. It’s true that money matters, A LOT, until you have enough that it doesn’t matter anymore.

It’s also true that the fun is in the journey. Now that I am where I wanted to be 5 years ago, with no money worries and lots of time on my hands to enjoy life, I’m wondering what to do next. Maybe set even higher goals and start the journey all over again, on a different plane…

Congrats on being in a book! It must be a surreal, awesome feeling. And I loved the picture – you must feel like you’re living in a slice of heaven, waking up to that view everyday.

• @Daphne: Thanks Daphne! And yes, I absolutely feel blessed to wake up every morning, look out the window and see that beautiful view. Today it was even prettier because it snowed. I should really post more pictures.

As far as your “next” journey, believe me I know exactly what you’re talking about. I’m going through the same thing right now, working on defining my new journey. One thing I can offer as a hint is to try to sit down and to determine your new identity. Who do you want to be? If you figure out who you want to be 5 years from now, it’ll be easier to figure out what you want to “do” in order to BE that person. For example, lets say you wanted to BE an Author. Well, that means you’ll have to write a book or two, or more in the next five years.

Identity is very important. I’ll probably be writing an article on this very soon.

• @Jeremy Day: Very welcome Jeremy. “Dripping Wet With Truth” hehehe…such imagery that creates in the mind! Is your primary modality Visual? You also used the word “perspective” in the comment, which is another visual word. Just wondering. :)

• Jeremy Day says:

Hi Paul,

You guessed right Paul. I am a super visual person. Near photographic memory. Never forget a face. Speed read everything and actually retain the information. Tell me something and Ill probably forget. Show me something and I will probably remember. Thats why I love reading. Im also trying to take my writing to the next level. Glad you appreciated my visual imagery. ;-)

Cheers,
    Jeremy

• Sarah says:

Are you serious? You are basically saying the same things as most “GURUS” say, but you are putting it in slightly different packaging in order to have something to say in a blog.

Whatever you are trying to sell, I’m not buying. Please try something else.

~Sarah

• Daphne says:

Paul, thanks for the pointer about determining who I want to be first, before deciding what I want to do. Very sage, and I completely agree. It’s just a very difficult question to answer! I want to be so many things, don’t you? I know what you mean though, and will give it serious thought. Do write your post soon, because I’m looking forward to it to help me crystallise my thoughts!

• dreka says:

@Sarah
    Maybe you should explain your argument a bit better. I am confused as to why you would disagree with this post. Did you even read the post?

• Dawne says:

Paul,

You are a genius. Enough said.

ps. sarah – have you ever heard the expression…”If you don’t have anything nice to say…” how bout you “Buy” a lesson in positive thinking!

• I agree with you. when you have enough money, money loss its meaning to you. we will naturally find more interesting things to focus on.

I have read a post by Steve pavlina named “money and the law of attraction” which says Steve attitude towards a new house is very watery. It is just the same.

• Hi Paul, I just write a post according to this article with the title “Financial Freedom: The Journey Is Worth It “:

Would you please review it and leave your kindly comment when you have free time? Thank you in advance.

David Wei